More big news from Reiza Studios as Automobilista 2 update V126.96.36.199 brings the 1997 McLaren MP4/12 along with big improvements to AI, force feedback, physics, multiplayer and championship modes.
The headline is probably the addition of the officially-licensed 1997 McLaren MP4/12 which took Mika Hakkinen to his first Formula One victory, and included a special brake system replicated in Automobilista 2.
The car had an extra brake pedal allowing drivers to control the rear braking on one wheel independently from the main system, set up either to the right or left according to the circuit. The theory was that it would help tip the McLaren into corners and aid traction. And it lasted until it was eventually banned early in the 1998 season, after being improved to allow drivers to switched manually between the rear left or right wheel during a lap.
In Automobilista 2, it will use whatever you have mapped to the handbrake (now renamed extra brake due to the fact it changes depending on the car), and you can map it to an analogue control such as the clutch pedal. The only difference from real life is that it will automatically be set to the right side for clockwise circuits and left for anticlockwise tracks.
Automobilista 2 Update V188.8.131.52 Changelog:
- Added Mclaren MP4/12 to F-V10 Gen1 series
- Added Silverstone 1975 “No Chicane” layout (part of Silverstone Pack DLC )
- Added Silverstone 2001 National & International layouts (part of Silverstone Pack DLC )
- Added Silverstone 2020 National & International layouts (part of Silverstone Pack DLC )
- Added support for “extra brake” device on Mclaren MP4/12 (shared with hand brake command)
- Fixed CTD when returning to lobby after a Multiplayer race
- Enabled slight collision pitch & roll damping (greatly reduces issues with over-the-top collision physics)
- Adjusted physics tick rate to minimise sync errors in Multiplayer
- Fixed bug causing starting grid being sorted by class when transitioning from scoring sessions (Q/R).
- Fixed time penalties when a driver fails to or cannot serve a drive through on the last lap
- Increased tolerance parameters for track limit violations from going over grass / gravel and after contact with another car
- Increased pit speed limit violation tolerance before instant DQ from 60 to 100km/h
UI & HUD
- Added art pass to Replay / Monitor screens, reducing overall size of controls, updating assets/colors of splits unit to improve readability, uses driver display name in splits unit for both, and ‘in pit’ marker to Replay splits unit
- Added toggleable full leaderboard to monitor screen (also available to MP spectators)
- Added message to MP session end leaderboard screen when waiting for host
- Added more compact controls bar to replay screen UI
- Initial updades to Championship UI design
- Temporarily disabled time acceleration mid-session (may trigger physics issues) until such are resolved
PHYSICS & FORCE FEEDBACK
- Fixed FFB Caster deflection calculation
- Re-enabled FFB scrub effect
- Adjustments to default FFB profile (rack force split to low-mid-high, scaling them differently, curbs slightly enhanced among other minor changes)
- Reduced adhesive friction speed sensitivity for Stock V8, GTs, Prototypes, Super V8
- Minor tyre tread adjustments for Ultima GTR Road, Camaro SS, F-Classic Gen3
- Adjusted Weight distribution, Aero center of pressure, adhesive friction for all F-Retro series cars
- Slightly adjusted Stock2020 center of gravity height (both models)
- Globally reduced aerodynamic effects from drafting & turbulence
- Enabled slight collision pitch & roll damping (aiminig to minimise issues with over-the-top collisions)
- Adjusted physics tick rate in attempt to minimise sync errors in Multiplayer
- Added minor friction & preload to open differentials (Opalas, F-Trainer, F-vee Pumas, Fuscas, MCRS200, FWD Classics)
- Rectified several incorrect, unoptimal or conflicting differential configurations & ranges still available from setup screen
- Fixed viscous diff incorrectly disabled for F-Ultimate
- Balance of performance revision for P4 class
- Added viscous differential to Ultima GTR Road
- Fixed V12 engine bug in F-Retro / F-Vintage causing car to break in aggressive downshifts
- Improved AI performance in pack (both better pace & less incidents)
- Fixed AI performance in practice / quali being slower than race (minor callibration still required)
- AI race performance callibration pass for various classes
- Fixed audio gear wobble
- Added triggers to support audio engine splutter on downshifts
- Fixed Stock Car Corolla referencing wrong sounds
- Revised positional audio (engine sound movement when looking left-right) for all cars
- Silverstone 1991: added missing physical tyre barriers, smoothed segments of curb steps vs surrounding terrain to minimise chances of cars launching over it; added missing start light gantry; Added dynamic brake markers; corrected Goodyear advertising to be period accurate
- Silverstone 2001: added start light gantry
- Silverstone 2020: minor art pass, added missing brake markers
- Santa Cruz: Moved start trigger to solve missing first lap for grid slot 1; recallibrated brake marker spacing, added missing dynamic brake markers
- Spielberg Historic: Major art pass (WIP)
- Spielberg: repositioned pit box and redid pit lane (reducing lateral separation); attempted fix for some AI cars from hitting pit wall when laving pit box.
- Added new crane models to various tracks
- Added TV cranes & camera men to several tracks
- Kansai West: fixed timing bug
- Kyalami Historic: Fixed timing bug, moved grid positions back 1 row, delete unused grid line markings; Moved start trigger and start line forward 5m in line with marshal hut
- Brands GP/ Indy: timing bug fix
- Adjusted driver animations for Brabham BT26A
- Adjusted driver animations for Ultima GTR Race
- Adjusted Ultima race driver gear shift animation
- F-Vintage (all models) – Added dynamic redline needle
- Added F301 & F309 driver & suspension animations
You can keep up with all the latest Automobilista 2 news, updates and DLC here. Or check our everything available already with our Automobilista 2 car list and Automobilista 2 track list.
Along with the updates, Reiza Studios have also introduced two new Steam packages for the game and DLC. Automobilista 2 is available on Steam for £34.99, along with the Silverstone Pack (and previous Hockenheimring Pack), which are both priced at £7.99 each. But along with the existing game and Season Pass bundle, you can now buy a Premium Track Pack which includes Silverstone, Hockenheimgring, and three more tracks (Nuburgring, Spa and one TBA), or the Automobilista Ultimate Edition and Automobilista 2 Bundle.