Test Drive Unlimited 2 is developed by Eden Games and published by Atari as the follow-up to Test Drive Unlimited. It’s due out in February 2011, and builds on the open-word racing MMORPG elements of the first game in the Unlimited series.
The Test Drive series actually started in 1987, developed by Distinctive Software and published by Accolade, but almost 20 years later, it was effectively reinvented by Eden Games and the open world model which allowed you to drive around an island loosely modelled on Hawaii, choosing to compete in set challenges as you drove to them, race other players you encountered online, or just cruise around.
Test Drive Unlimited 2 builds on this concept – and this time the location is the island of Ibiza.
Test Drive Unlimited 2 – Pre-order bonuses:
- Amazon: Pre-order to receive the Aston Martin V12 Vantage Carbon Black special edition, exclusive avatar apparel and an additional bonus of an Amazon Video Games Credit.
- Best Buy: Pre-Order to get the Aston Martin DBS Carbon Black Special Edition, and a Carbon Black themed apparel item for your avatar. Best Buy Reward Zone members also get a bonus in Reward Zone points.
- Direct2Drive: Pre-Order and get the Jaguar XKR with the Speed Pack and Black Pack. The Speed Pack increases the max speed from 155mph to 174mph, and the Black Pack gives you a black interior with seats, steering wheel, shift knob and centre console. You also get an exclusive shirt for your avatar.
- Gamestop: The TDU2 Casino Online is a fully functional add-on game mode which is exclusive as a pre-order bonus to GameStop customers. You also get the chance to win two vehicles by mastering the casino games: the Audi R8 Spyder and the Spyker C8 Aileron Spyder, plus the chance to win additional money to spend on the rest of the game.
- K Mart: Pre-order to unlock the Ferrari 612 Sessanta, which is designed to pay homage to the 1954 Ferrari 375 MM that director Roberto Rossellini commissioned for his wife, Ingrid Bergman, particularly the large side scallops and headlights. It tops out at 196mph, and reaches 60mph in 4.2 seconds from a standing start.
- Walmart: Pre-order to receive the Bugati Veyron Supersport 2010. One of the fastest production vehicles in the world it previously held the record as the fastest at 267.86mph, packs 1200 horsepower and goes from 0-60 in 2.2. seconds.
- You can also pre-order from Atari.com to receive the Ford Shelby GT 500, or on Steam to get the Pagani Zonda Tricolore.