Monster Truck racing hasn’t caught on in the UK as it has in the U.S. But for the fans on both sides of the pond, there’s a big free update for Monster Jam Steel Titans available now on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC.
Monster Jam is the officially sanctioned series for freestyle and competitive monster truck events, and various licensed games have been produced since 2002. But Monster Jam Steel Titans is notable as it’s the first developed by Rainbow Studios, who are probably best known for the MX vs ATV series. So they can do off-road handling pretty well.
It’s also the first of the Monster Jam games to include open world exploration. That’s in addition to the stadium events and a variety of challnges and modes.
The first update for the game came out just after it was released in June 2019, and included various bug fixes prior to the Steel and Ice DLC in August that added new trucks to the existing car list for the game.
The big free update for Monster Jam Steel Titans
It’s a pretty big list for the update, which will begin automatically the next time you play the game.
New Steel Titans Features and Content
- Titan Challenges
- Grave Digger, Max-D, and El Toro Loco wait for you in Monster Jam University!
- Compete in 12 Titan Challenge events designed to put your skills to the test.
- Unlock game-changing rewards by taking 1st Place in each event.
- Career Plus
- Arena, Stadium, and Outdoor careers re-imagined at Steel Titan difficulty
- Overcast Monster Jam Trucks
- Overcast variants of Grave Digger, Megalodon, and Dragon
- Unlock each by placing Top 3 in a Career Plus
- New Events
- 6 Arena Timed Destruction
- 4 Waypoint
Steel Titans Bug Fixes & Improvements
- 3/4 Camera
- Drone Camera
- Moved Split Screen to Main Menu
- Added more destructible objects
- Enhanced tire particles
- General AI improvements, especially in outdoor events
- Basic Steering Wheel controller configuration (parity with gamepad configuration)
- Added support for Shifter peripheral (1st, 2nd, Reverse, Park)
- [PC Only] Added INI support for Steering Wheel controller mapping (AppData\Local\MJST\Saved)
- Added Restart option to Pause menu in Career
- Head-to-Head brackets are generated using current Standings in Career
- Improved stunt detection
- Reduced stunt exploits
- Improved performance in Timed Destruction and Free Ride
- Miscellaneous visual improvements and bug fixes