The introduction and first season of a new Tournament mode in Wreckfest went reasonably well, but had a few teething problems and issues. So the new Wreckfest Tournament update out now aims to make it more fun, and fix some of the technical issues people have had.
Developers Bugbear Entertainment have obviously paid attention to feedback which mainly focused on the amount of rewards for completing the daily, weekly and season challenges, versus the cost of buying the exclusive content in the tournament store. So they’ve made everything more obtainable.
And that’s a good thing, as the introduction of seasonal tournaments is definitely a good addition to Wreckfest. It gives players a reason to keep coming back even if they’ve done everything possible in single player, or got a little jaded by multiplayer. The game and challenges are definitely suited to a quick lunchtime break or daily session to blow off some steam. And it might lead to a bit of a resurgence in player numbers two years after it left Steam early access for the PC.
The new Tournament Seaspn now focuses on speed and skill, with hot lap challenges, and ‘some explosie surprises’. And there are also some improvements to save data handling and Steam Cloud integration included in the update. Plus better suspension setups for the Panther RS and Boomer.
Wreckfest Tournament Update June 2020 Release Notes
- Xbox: 188.8.131.52
- PS4: 1.46
- PC: 1.260574
Changes for PC marked with an asterisk (*) were already rolled out for other platforms in previous patches.
- Game no longer constantly crashes when trying to enter the “Destroy All Supervans!” career event.
- Game no longer infrequently crashes when proceeding from the results screen in the tournament mode.
- In multiplayer, game no longer crashes when the host leaves the game and the client is in the Paint Menu.
- Reward paints no longer vanish from the player inventory when changing paint.
- (PS4) Game no longer occasionally crashes shortly after reaching gameplay in tournament mode.
- (PS4) Game no longer sporadically crashes when trying to adjust tuning settings.
- (XB1) Title no longer crashes when switching to another profile.
- (XB1) Title no longer crashes when connecting to a multiplayer server.
- (PS4) Title no longer eventually crashes to analytics upload failing.
- Playing a tournament event now rewards the player with experience.
- Reduced the score multiplier decrease rate during tournament mode “Score Streak” events.
- Reduced the AI Players aggression during tournament mode “Score Streak” events.
- (XB1) Correct rankings and targets should now be shown properly even for the small number of users who previously had issues.
- (PS4) After entering the tournament mode, tournament information is now correctly displayed without going back and forth.
- (PC) Tournament event information is displayed quicker after entering tournament mode.
- Improved Panther RS suspension setups.
- Improved Boomer suspension setups.
- (*PC) AI Harvester is no longer faster than player harvester.
- Next track in the event rotation is now selected in tiebreaker situations (instead of it being skipped like previously).
- (PC) It’s now possible to define 96 user roles on a dedicated server (not actual players, but known users with specific roles such as ‘moderator’ and so forth).
- (*PC) Idle detection now works again so players idling in a multiplayer event will be kicked after a period of inactivity.
- Killerpig: Fix sound pitch mismatch between on/offload states near max rpm.
- (*PC) Adjusted lawnmower engine sound for louder offload volume.
- (*PC) Mixdown adjustments for driver contact sounds.
- (*PC) Audio asset size optimizations for driver contact sounds.
- (*PC) Driver body-to-ground contact sounds now change according to vehicle road surface.
- (*PC) Tighter volume roll-off based on camera distance (max. audible range 20 meters / ~65.6 feet).
- (*PC) Added distance based playback prioritization to driver contact sounds.
- (*PC) Added triggering delay randomization to increase variety with driver contact sound sequences.
- (PC) Improved Steam Cloud integration. Note that from now on the save data is located in “[STEAM INSTALL FOLDER]/userdata/[STEAMID]/228380” with the old data in the “Documents” folder being automatically copied over after launching the title for the first time after updating.
Appropriate prompts are shown to the user whenever a save data mismatch is detected between local and cloud data.
- (PC) Improved corrupt save data detection by adding a size check and filtering out files with broken headers in order to prevent corrupted save data being uploaded to Steam Cloud and possibly preventing the game from launching.
Whenever corrupt data is detected, the user is shown an appropriate prompt.
You can check out our coverage of the latest Wreckfest news, updates, mods and more, here. Or check everything drivable in the game, with our Wreckfest car list.