Bugbear Entertainment seem to have waited a while to release a huge load of new content and updates to their game of car racing and destruction. Alongside the new Wreckfest Banger Racing car pack comes two new free tracks, a big game update, and a new tournament season centred around the traditionally British motorsport.
Banger racing has been an obvious addition to the options available in Wreckfest for some time, with modders often replicating existing and historic UK venues.
So it makes sense that Bugbear have added it officially to the game. And to provide homes for the action, there are two new circuits. The additions are Mudford Motorpark, which has oval and derby layouts, and Kingston Raceway which offers an oval or the predictable chaos of a figure of eight layout.
A new monthly tournament season will focus on the noble art of Wreckfest banger racing. The challenges will all see you try to combine finishing in a good position with dishing out as much damage as possible. Along with traditional stock car racing, and all so you can use your fame points to invest in a Panther RS modified for banger racing as the tournament season reward.
Then there’s the new update across PC, PS4 and Xbox One editions, and the final DLC car pack included in the first Season Pass.
The Wreckfest Banger Racing Car Pack
The sixth DLC pack of additional cars, and the final one to be included if you own the first Season Pass available for Wreckfest. The Banger Racing Car Pack adds three new cars which are particularly suited to the sport.
From funeral processions to racetracks, a secondhand hearse has often been a popular choice for a cheap banger racer. And a tough cult classic option at that.
A more European choice for a midsize all-round racer, which combines agility, speed and toughness.
It resembles the popular Ford Cortina of the 1970s and 1980s. And as a best selling car in the UK, many did find their way onto banger racing circuits over the years.
The Stock Car
It’s not just in America that purpose-built oval racers were created. The Wreckfest version includes the same offset wings you’d see in American dirt track racing, but adds more steel for crash protection or inflicting damage.
So that’s a fair amount of new stuff already. And that’s before we get onto the latest free Wreckfest update, which includes various gameplay improvements. The tweaks include allowing the AI to use DLC vehicles, or have all AI use the same vehicle you’ve selected via one button click for custom events.
Wreckfest Banger Racing Update Release Notes:
- Xbox: 126.96.36.199
- PS4: 1.50
- PC: 1.262067
- Added support for the new DLC: Banger Racing Pack.
- Added two new tracks: Kingston Raceway (Oval and Figure 8 layouts) and Mudford Motorpark (Oval and Derby layouts).
- Fixed memory defragmentation issue with AMD display devices that caused severe slowdowns in multiplayer lobby especially on PC.
- (PS4) Game no longer infrequently crashes after completing a weekly or monthly tournament challenge.
- (XB1) Save data no longer gets unintendedly overwritten when switching accounts in certain edge cases.
- (PC) Game now automatically detects input devices even when they’re plugged in while the game is running.
- (PC) Local backup system now correctly backs up previous save data whenever there’s a title update.
- (PC) There’s now a 10 second cooldown before trying to match the cloud save data, eliminating bogus conflict messages.
- (PC) The cloud conflict popup should no longer hide behind the game window.
- When selecting a vehicle, game now waits slightly longer before actually selecting the vehicle to prevent inadvertent loading from starting when browsing vehicles.
- Score detection is now more robust, eliminating cases where the player receives no score even though they clearly hit an opponent with enough force.
- Score is now received based on how much damage the player inflicts to the opponent and not plain momentum.
- The car is now reset to a certain initial speed and first gear is automatically engaged also in the demolition derby events.
- In custom events, it’s now possible to choose “Same As Player” as the AI Player vehicle, making AI Players use the same vehicle as the player.
This works even with tournament reward vehicles, making it possible to create for example an all DoomRig race.
- AI now makes use of DLC vehicles in multiplayer, custom events and most career events.
- AI now makes use of Gremlin also in Class A.
- Panels are no longer getting permanently stuck on vehicles but are released correctly after the vehicle has deformed, preventing deform related glitches on panels.
- Adjusted collision geometry of the concrete barriers to reduce glitching when hitting them especially in multiplayer.
Note that the collisions are still not perfect but improved nonetheless.
- Fixed roll cage weights for Grand Duke, Wildking and Little Thrasher.
- Reduced DoomRig armor protection slightly.
- Fixed engine flame emitter location of Raiden.
- Fixed invisible bumps around the middle intersection on Hilltop Figure 8.
- Tournament rewards are now correctly received when the player has entered tournament event selection screen and the tournament mode has been initialized (you can tell when the player counts appear in the event selection screen, and targets are shown in the tournament details view for monthly and weekly events).
Rewards from the past challenges are be awarded retroactively and should appear correctly in the “Statistics” tab.
- Race: Player & AI distance attenuation both adjusted for smoother fade-out at 25 to 100 meter range.
- Race: Loudness balancing adjustments & EQ settings tweaks for all player vehicles.
- Bandit, Buggy, Dominator, Gatecrasher, Killerbee, Rocket, Sunrise Super & Wild King: Adjusted idle-to-mid RPM range for slightly louder engine sound (lesser dynamic range).
- Little Thrasher: Fixed broken soundbank.
- Roadslayer: Fixed DSP settings and loudness calibration issues.
- Optimized DSP effect usage of all player vehicles for a lesser CPU load.
If you don’t already own the game and feel tempted now that the Wreckfest Banger Racing Car Pack has arrived, along with two new circuits, and a big update, then you can buy it digitally on Steam for the PC, on the Microsoft Store for Xbox One and the PlayStation Store for PS4. Or via Game (currently discounted in a special offer on new copies) or Amazon.
We’ll keep you informed with all the latest Wreckfest news, updates and content, right here. And you can see all the vehicles officially available in the game, from motorised toilets to trucks, with our Wreckfest Car List.