Black Delta have released two revisions to their karting sim for the middle of February 2021, and the new KartKraft builds include a big handling update, which looks interesting.
The first release has been available since February 10th. Analysing tyre loads over kerbs revealed a bug in the method used for calculating the damping velocity of the tyre. With that fixed, Black Delta saw much more consistent loads arocss varying steering input changes. And that means all tyres and classes have now been retuned with a more natural driving feel allowing you to lean on the tyres, trail the brakes and lap more consistently with an increase in the force feedback detail.
Another big note is that Black Delta have worked with Valve to investigate issues with some wheels not being detected. And that should be cured now, although it does mean all controllers need to be rebound.
KartKraft Build 0.1.0.2929 Change Notes
- Improved implementation of Minimum Force for wheel force feedback
- Improved FFB algorithm
- Added basic support for Logitech Wheel LED lights
- Reduced stopping force of gravel traps
- Setup parameters now display the significant digit when set to values below 1. i.e 0.1 rather than .1
- Fixed bug where controller would receive force feedback when wheel is being used and vice versa
- Fixed tyre damping bug that caused incorrect loads when cornering
- Improved tyre and handling model for KA100, X30 and KZ2 classes
- Fixed issue where Steam would steal Direct Input wheel control away from the game. This change will require you to rebind your wheel
- Added frame identifier to UDP telemetry. Telemetry clients can now validate telemetry frames using KartKraft.Frame.FrameBufferHasIdentifier(bytes)
- Fix for wheel input being overridden by Steam when user has Steam Input enabled
- HUD now shows vehicle class
- Fixed leaderboard not updating after exit of time trial event
- Easy/Medium AI retuned to make them easier
- Fixed crash when adjusting KZ2 drivetrain sprocket teeth.
- Fixed AI vehicles sometimes failing to load
Despite apparently having the same build number, a new update has since been released with a few more useful changes and improvements.
KartKraft Build 0.1.0.2929 (Feb 12) Change Notes
- Fixed bug where it wasn’t possible to press keyboard key whilst binding wheel.
- Fixed physics glitches when respawning in pits after restarting a completed race.
- Possible fix for some misbehaving logitech wheels due to USB flooding.
- Added a new input setting to enable or disable RPM shifter lights for Logitech wheels. (More wheels with LED lights will be added in future.)
- Players are now prevented from gaining extra speed at start of PFI time trial events. Laps commencing using run-off area wiill be marked invalid.
- Reduced possibility of AI-controlled vehicles spinning after teleporting with cold tyres.
As the new KartKraft builds include a big handling update, you may be tempted to try the game for the first time, and you can find it for the PC via Steam Early Access. And keep up with all the latest KartKraft news, updates and eSports here.