The latest update from Reiza Studios adds some more Formula One history to their sim, as Automobilista 2 V220.127.116.11 brings the Brabham BT46B. Teased on social media a few days ago, the infamous fan car only competed once in the 1978 Swedish Grand Prix. And by delivering a dominant victory for Niki Lauda, it’s the most successful F1 car ever designed based on win percentage!
The Brabham was designed by Gordon Murrary in response to the ground effect Lotus 79, which Reiza Studios released for Automobilista 2 in the last major update at the start of April. So it should make for interesting opposition, as it feels a little more planted and controllable even in a couple of quick laps to grab a photo – despite still having 520hp from the V12 engine. And like the Lotus, it sounds absolutely amazing when you stop driving to watch a replay.
It’s great that Reiza Studios include unusual cars like this, as it means you can sample a car only ever driven by Niki Lauda and John Watson in a single F1 race, and Nelson Piquet in a one-off time trial event.
But the new addition for the F-Retro Gen2 Class isn’t the only change included in update V1.1.40, with a whole host of improvements and tweaks to the game, cars and tracks.
Automobilista 2 V18.104.22.168 Change Log:
- Added Brabham BT46B to F-Retro Gen2 Class
- Added new MAX AVAILABLE setting to Custom Event Opponents screen to limit number of AI opponents according to the number of liveries in the selected car or class
- Excluded player livery from AI selection when enough liveries are available to not have duplicates
- Added support to disable pitstop refueling for series that don´t allow it
UI & HUD
- Added extended vehicle information to loading screen
- Fixed selected state opacity on various start buttons
- Extended pause menu and added full size photo and replay buttons
- Added scrolling to long help texts in vehicle setup screen.
- Fixed gear tacho gear indicator not changing colour at redline.
- Merged / rearranged car info widget into a single element
- Adjusted colours/opacity of some car info elements to improve legibility.
- Fixed pit/formation speed limit and cooldown lap notice not enabled by default in some modes.
- Fixed over-sized container on relative times widget.
- Fixed inability to enable relative times widget in light mode HUD editor.
- Restyled custom event session selection.
- Fixed menu/weather input registration on practice/qualifying session settings.
- Restyled HUD pit board
- Fixed start new championship list always displaying selected state
- Fixed help text alignment on session settings and custom event opponents pages
- Fixed Opponent Number Type option not persisting across opponents dialog launches.
- Enabled localisation for loading screen tips
PHYSICS & AI
- Revised unsprung mass values (spindles & wheels) for all cars to correct minor discrepancies
- Minor tire tread adjustment to F-Retro, F-Vintage
- Disabled pitstop refuelling in F-Reiza, F-Ultimate
- Adjusted default coast differential ramp angles in F-Retros / MRX / Camaro SS
- Minor F-Retro Gen1 / Gen 2 aero revisions
- Added longer final gear ratio for F-Retro cars (all models)
- Sigma P1: Increased default preload, increased default final gear ratio
- F-Classic: Increased minimum front ride height
- Porsche GT3-R: Reduced minimum rear ride height
- F-Retro: Revised suspension rates
- Reduced gearbox wear in sequential & semi-auto boxes
- Reduced 1970s Cosworth DFV RPM critical range for engine life time
- Added blown diffuser emulation to F-Reiza
- Adjusted front wing max height for F-Retros, F-V10 Gen1
- Adjusted critical RPM range for engine lifetime in GT1, GT3, GT4 cars
- GT5 AI calibration pass
- AI callibration pass for Ginetta G40 Cup, GT5, F-Retro Gen1, Gen2, Mini UK & Stock Car 2020 / 2021
- Minor adjustments to AI awareness vs player car
- Added initial logic for loading trackside crowd / objects according to session type (initial implementation covers only 2D crowd which now does not show in test day / practice sessions)
- Spielberg Historic: Increased supported grid size to 20; Fixed crowds season (summer to spring)
- Londrina (Long/Short): Update curb mapping to support new colors texture; Performance pass reduce draw calls 15%; Reworked sponsor adverts on temp stands
- Goiania: Performance pass reduced draw calls 40%
- Interlagos (GP/kart): Performance pass reduce draw calls 30%; New pit lane path for GP layout
- Jacarepagua Historic: Fixed broken normals on mountain treeline; Additional performance tweaks (draw call/chunk size); Fix podium LOD popping; deleted cones in middle of the road in Oval layout; adjusted pitlane path exit to minimise chances of AI crashing
- Hockenheim Historics: Conform render to reduced road noise; Performance pass reduced draw calls by 35%; Improved livegrass texture
- Imola 1988: Performance pass reduced draw calls by 28%; Fix a few minor object LOD popping;
- Added missing start lights
- Cascavel: Minor advert tweaks
- Added VR cams for Oulton Park, Goiania, Velocittá & Velopark
- Reduced or removed chance of fog / foggy rain in random weather depending on track
- F-Classic: Fixed wheels offset in suspension animations; Added camber values to the suspension animation in G1M1, G2M1, G2M3
- F-Reiza: Added camber values to the suspension animation
- F-Ultimate 2019: Added camber values to the suspension animation
- F3 F309: Fixed visual artifacts in rear suspension; Added camber values to the suspension animation; Adjusted the graphic offset
- Stock Car 2021: Updated liveris fro Julio Campos, Rafael Suzuki, Bruno Baptista
- Added period-accurate driver helmets, suits & gloves to F-Retros, F-Classics & F-V12 (WIP and still with generic textures, further customization soon to come)
- Corrected Lotus 79 RPM shift light range
- Fixed F-Reiza cockpit antenna
- Brabham BT44: Fixed shift warning light
- Karts & Trucks: Corrected normal map size
Automobilista 2 is available on Steam for the PC, along with the Ultimate Edition, the Season Pass bundle and the Spa, Silverstone, Nurburgring and Hockenheim DLC track packs.
You can keep up with all the latest Automobilista 2 news, updates and DLC here. Or check out everything available already with our Automobilista 2 car list and Automobilista 2 track list.